Process–Based Instruction, Science-Skills, Performance, Identification of Cations
This study examined the effect of process–based Instruction on secondary school students’ academic performance and science-skills acquisition in Faskari Education Zone, Katsina State, Nigeria. The study employed quasiexperimental design using a sample of 103 students drawn from a population of 984 in the study area. Two instruments namely Identification of Cations Performance Test (ICPT) and Test of Science Process Skills (TOSPS) duly Validated by expert with a reliability coefficient of 0.69 and 0.75 respectively were used for data collection. Research hypotheses were tested using t-test statistics at 0.05 levels of significance. One of the finding from the study indicates that there is significance difference in the acquisition of Science- Skills between students taught identification of cations using Process–Based instruction and those taught the same concept using lecture method. Based on the research findings, it was recommended among others that periodic workshops, seminars and conferences should be organised for teachers on the selection and implementation of appropriate strategy for teaching chemistry concepts.
- Sabitu, A. & Torpev, T. F. (2016d) Impact of Class-Wide Peer-Tutoring Strategy on Secondary School Slow Learners’ Performance in Redox Reactions in Funtua, Katsina State-Nigeria. Issues and Ideas in Education, 4(2); 108-212 ISSN: Online: 2320-8805 Print: 2320-7655; DOI: 10.15415/iie.2016.42007 https://doi.org/10.15415/iie.2016.42007
- Ajaja, O. P. (2007).Teaching Methods across discipline, Agbori; All PublisherNoteUniversity of Jos.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (2008).Science for All Americans New York: Oxford University Press
- Ango, M. L. (2002).”Mastery of Science Process Skills and Their Effective Use in the Teaching of Science” An Educology of Science Education in the Context International Journal Vol.16 No1.
- Ango, M. L. (2002). Mastery Science Process Skills and their Effective use in the Teaching of Science.An Ideology of Science Education in Nigeria.
- Brisco, C. (2013). “Using Cognitive References in Making Tense of Teaching “A Chemistry Teacher Is Struggle to Change Assessment Practices Journal of Research in Science Teaching 30(8) 14-15
- Danladi, S. (2006), Effect of Science Process on StudentsPerformance In Chemistry. A Study of SS II in Gumel Educational Zone Jigawa State Unpublished M.Sc.(Ed.) Thesis University of Jos, Plateau State.
- Federal Republic of Nigeria, (2004).National Policy on EducationAbuja,Federal Ministry of Information.
- Frazer, B. J. (2004).Improving Science Education National Society for the Study of Education(N.S.S.E) Illinois.
- Gumel, A. S. (2007) Effectiveness of Science Process Approach on Remedial Science Students Performance in Jigawa State “A Thesis Submitted to the Postgraduate Students Ahmadu Bello University in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirement for Award of Master Degree in Science Education.
- Ibrahim, A. (2012) Effects of Science Process Approach on Academic Performance and Creativity Among Primary School Pupils in Kastina State. Unpublished M.Ed Thesis, Department of Science Education Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Mari, J. S. (1994). The Understanding of Science Process and its Relationship to Performance in Integrated Science. Unpublished M.Ed. thesis Department Of Education A.B.U.,Zaria.
- Mari, J. S. (2001).”The Effect of Process Skill Instruction on Formal Reasoning, Ability among Senior Secondary Students in Kaduna State” An Unpublished PhD. Thesis Department of Education Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
- Mari, J. S. and Shaibu, A. A. M. (2003).”The Effect of Process Skill Instruction on Secondary School Students” Formal Reasoning Ability in Nigeria, Science Education International Vol. 14, NO 4
- Mari, J. S. (2006). Cognitive Functioning Of Students-Teacher Challenges for Teacher Education. Being a Paper Presented at National Workshop held in Faculty of Education Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria National Research Council (2005).How Students Learn: Science In The Class Room. Washington D.C: The National Academy Press
- Nwosu, A. J. (2005). The Effects of Teacher Sensitization on Secondary School Students Level of Acquisition of Science Process Skiills. Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis,Nsukka University of Nigeria.
- Ojokuku, G. (2014). Textbook of Practical Chemistry for School and College. Press-On Chemore Source.
- Olorundare, A. S. and Sam, O. (2011) Mass Failure Worries Stakeholder.Sun Newspaper Retrieved May,25,2011 From Http
- Paul, O. A. & Dantani, Y. M. (2012). Effect of Lecture and Demonstration Method on the Academic Performance of Students in Chemistry in Nasarawa Local Government Area of Kano State.International of Modern Social Sciences 1(1)
- Roselyn, C. (2003) Effects of Science Process Skills Mastery Learning Approach on Students Acqisition of Selected Chemistry Practical inSchools Journal of Creative Education (3) 3(1291-1296)
- Reid, D. (2008). Simulation-based Scientific Discovery Learning: A Research on the Effects on Experimental Support and Learners Reasoning Ability. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 1(19), 9-20
- Sambo, A. A. (2008). Research Method in Education. Lagos; Sterling- HordenPublisers( Nig) Ltd. 341-354
- WAEC Report (2011). Chief Examiners and Team Leaders.Report. www.wacce learningedu.ng/home/chemistry Retrieved on 23 February, 2014