In this paper the authors propose ways of implementing peace education andintegrating it in the routine curriculum. Unlike the teaching of academic and vocational skills, which are based on the transmission of knowledge and skills alone, peace education is based on understanding of human motives and, above all, on example.The key individuals in the effort of peace education are teachers in primary, secondary and higher education, and the point at which peace education has to start is in the training of future teachers. Peace education has to communicate both values supportive of peace and non-violence, and the reasoning and interpersonal skills required for non-violent conflict resolution. Rather than introducing formal instruction in”peace science”, teachers may find it more effective to introduce the subject informally with examples that illustrate the value of non-violence, and examples of the ways in which violent conflict can be avoided or resolved. Herein, it is emphasized that peace education can be introduced effectively by merging it with the existing education system. The current paper outlines the concept for introducing peace education and provides an implementation strategy, contributes unique methods, and offers novel suggestions regarding its why, where and how.
- Banta, B. (1993). Peaceful Peoples: An Annotated Bibliography. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press.
- Bar-Tal, D. (2002). The elusive nature of peace education: In G. Salomon & B. Nevo (Eds.),Peace Education: The Concepts, Principles, and Practices around the World. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 27-36.
- Bey, T. M. & Turner, G. Y. (1996). Making school a place of peace. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Comenius, J. (1642/1969). A Reformation of Schools (S. Harlif, Transl.). Menston (Yorks): Scholar Press.
- Danesh, H. B. (2006). Towards an integrative theory of peace education. Journal of Peace Education, 3(1), 55–78. https://doi.org/10.1080/17400200500532151
- Eliot, T. S. (1936). The Hollow Men. Collected Poems of T.S. Eliot. New York: Harcourt Brace & Co.
- Farrelly, M. C., Davis, K. C., Haviland, M. L., Messeri, P. and Healton, C. G. (2005). Evidence of a dose-response relationship between “truth” antismoking ads and youth smoking prevalence. American Journal of Public Health 95: 425–431. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.049692
- Gallup World Poll (2015). Data retrieved 10 October 2010 from http://www.gallup.com/services/170945/world-poll.aspx
- Foucault, M. (2006).Materialism and Education. Mark Olssen, Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers, Updated Edition.
- Galtung, J. (1981). Social Cosmology and the Concept of Peace. Journal of Peace Research. 18(2), 183 199. https://doi.org/10.1177/002234338101800207
- Ginges, J. and Atran, S. (2011). War as a moral imperative (not just practical politics by other means). Proceedings of the Royal Society B 278: 2930–2938. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2010.2384
- Hamann, B. (1996). Bertha von Suttner Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press.
- Harris, I. M. (2004). Peace education theory. Journal of Peace Education, 1(1), 5–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/1740020032000178276
- Harris, I. (2008). Peace, Religious Teachings That Promote. “History of Peace Education.”. Encyclopedia of peace education, Teachers College. Columbia University, pp. 1–6.
- Johnson, D., & Johnson, R. (1996). Conflict resolution and peer mediation programs in elementary and secondary schools: A review of the research. Review of Educational Research, 66, 459–506. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543066004459
- Kelly, R. C. (2005). The evolution of lethal intergroup violence. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 102, 15294–15298. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0505955102
- King, M.L. (1964) Oxford Essential Quotations (1 ed.) Edited by Susan Ratcliffe. Publisher: Oxford University Press. Published online: 2014.
- Majumdar, S. K. (1995). Ethical aspects of the Hippocratic Oath and its relevance to contemporary medicine. Bull Indian Inst Hist Med Hyderabad, 25(1-2), 150–169.
- Meisenberg, G. (2012). Demography and modernization as the major determinants of religious belief. Mankind Quarterly, 52, 388–414.
- Mische, P. (1989). Ecological security and the need to reconceptualize sovereignty. Alternatives, XIV(4), 389–428. https://doi.org/10.1177/030437548901400402
- Montessori, M. (1946/1974). Education for a New World. (Thiruvanmiyur, India: Kalakshetra Press).
- Montessori, M. (1949). Education and Peace. Publisher Gerard Arthus, the Theosophical Publishing House, International headquarters, The Theosophical Society, Adiyar, Chennai, India.
- National Curriculum Framework 2005 (2006). National focus group on education for peace. National council for educational research and training, position paper 3.4, pp. 1–36.
- Sandy, S. (2001). Conflict resolution in schools: “Getting there.” Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 19(2), 237–250. https://doi.org/10.1002/crq.3890190207
- Scanlon, D. (1959). The Pioneers of International Education: 1817-1914. Teacher’s CollegeRecord (4): 210–219.
- Schmidt, H. (1968). Politics and Peace Research. Journal of Peace Research, 5(3): 217–232. https://doi.org/10.1177/002234336800500301
- Shah, S. & Meisenberg, G. (2012). Opinions about teaching modalities: comparison between faculty and students. Journal of Education Research International, Volume 2012 Article ID 604052, 7 pages doi:10.1155/2012/604052. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/604052
- Singer, Peter (1981). The expanding circle: ethics and sociology (1st ed.). New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
- Sprecher, S. & Fehr, B. (2005). Compassionate love for close others and humanity. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 22, 629–651. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407505056439
- Stomfay-Stitz, A. (1993). Peace Education in America 1828-1990, Sourcebook for Education and Research. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press.
- Vision of Humanity (2015). Global Peace Index, retrieved 17 March 2015 from http://www.visionofhumanity.org/#/page/indexes/global-peace-index.
- Wakefield, M. A., Durkin, S., Spittal, M. J., Siahpush, M., Scollo, M., Simpson, J. A., Chapman, S., White, V. & Hill, D. (2008). Impact of tobacco control policies and mass media campaigns on monthly adult smoking prevalence. American Journal of Public Health 98: 1443–1450. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.128991
- Wistrand M. (1992). Entertainment and Violence in Ancient Rome: The Attitudes of Roman Writers of the First Century A.D. Göteborg: ActaUniversitatisGothoburgensis 1992.
- World Values Survey (2009). WVS Official Aggregate v.20090901, 2009, retrieved 10 October 2010 from www.worldvaluessurvey.org
- Wrangham, R. W. & Glowacki, L. (2012). Intergroup aggression in chimpanzees and war in nomadic hunter-gatherers. Human Nature, 23, 5–29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12110-012-9132-1
- Zuckerman, P. (2007). Atheism: Contemporary numbers and patterns. In: M. Martin (Ed.): The Cambridge Companion to Atheism. Cambridge Companions to Philosophy, pp. 47–65. New York: Cambridge University Press.